Questions to ask someone who is struggling with their mental health:
Questions to ask someone who is depressed:
- How are you; really?
- How can I support you?
- Do you want to talk and for me to just listen?
- Are you ready to talk to a professional?
- Do you want me research therapists in your area?
- Do you want advice?
- Are you having thoughts of hurting yourself?
- Have you experienced this before?
- What helped you the last time you felt this way?
- Have you been in the fresh air lately?
- What can I order/bring you to eat?
- Is there something in your control that you can change?
- Would you like a hug? Or do you need space?
- When can I check in on you again?
Remember to be patient, encouraging, and continue to validate their feelings.
Remember to take care of yourself, too.
Check in with yourself and ask the above questions.